Experimental Coding

At Kutztown I had the opportunity to practice in different code disciplines than HTML and CSS. In Creative Code, we were encouraged to find a new code technology that we were excited about and then to formulate a project around that technology. We were allowed use of the departments new supplies including projectors, Arduinos, ipads, and sensors. Being introduced to these languages has allowed me to think more creatively about the applications of future projects.

=

Kutztown Doodle

Process

My partner Maya and I found inspiration from a project that used both projection and touch and decide that we would like to create our own interactive mural of Kutztown University and notable locations in the area.
For this project we used Processing with the imported serial , sound, and video libraries. This project was fairly straightforward to code but it took focused planning and a large amount of time for asset making. We incorporated an Arduino with a capacitive touch shield from ADAfruit. This allowed our mural to be interactive through touch.


Our mural was mapped and drawn off the projection. We found that working backward from the final projection made it easier to align the projection in the end with only small tweaks. The mural was painted on 1/8” plywood with acrylics and most importantly conductive paint that we had purchased off Amazon.com. We then drilled holes through the front and ran conductive tape through them and around the back of the project down to the connected Arduino.


During our brief user testing we determined that the conductive tape was to brittle to hold up to continued poking of users, they ended up punching it back through the hole and breaking the connection. The other problems that we ran into was that the program occasionally become overloaded and crashed. This was easily remedied through restart of the program. If I were to change anything about the project it would be to create a better connection to the front of the board through a wire connection, I would hide it by painting conductive paint over the wire. I would also create a supportive frame that projects from the wall so that the delicate electronics in the back had a place to rest.

Sunflower Clock

Process

The Concept behind this project is the natural tendencies for sunflowers to turn their heads towards the suns current position. The aim was to create an ninteractive clock that gives you an impression of how much daylight there is left in the day. Using Processing, Sunrise-Sunset API and Arduino components the project started to take form. An additional added component was to create user interaction by providing a flashlight and having the flowers turn toward the source.

Over the course of the project we realizied due to user intrest and hardware limitations that the origional scope of the project was unrealistic for the timeframe.

The first realization was that it would be to slow for users to notice any movement.

The second realization was that the servo shield prevented the light sensors from attaching.

The third issue was that the servos that I was working with did not go a full 180 degrees.

In the end we remapped the clock to respond to the smaller increments of seconds and top reset at the end of the minute cycle. While I would consider this project to be underwhelming and falling short of the goal it provided valuable experience with troubleshooting, servo components, a first attempt with api technology, and a more in depth Arduino experience.

Chester's Scavengerhunt

Process

Through the use of augmented reality , my partner Alexa Liss and I created a building wide interactive scavenger hunt game. We used Aframe and Ar.js to create an entirely web based application that we then hosted the finished project at alexaliss.design/arhunt.html .\

While creating our custom markers we found that simple shapes with a 10% gray background worked the best. Once we made the markers we created Chester, our project mascot , to match the images on each marker and wrote clues specific to the locations in the building.

I believe that this project could be expanded in interesting ways and could be effective as a guerrilla marketing strategey.

Project Partner: Alexa Liss Alexaliss.design